Friday, January 23, 2009

My Life Starts Today??!!?

So they tell me anyway.

Yes, I turned 40 today.

I decided I would start this 'life' with another attempt at blogging. Let's see how long I last this time.

I also thought, as I was weighed on the first day of my last life. I'd get weighed today as well.

For the record I am currently 64.6kg. I'm not sure how far I want to go down but I don't want to put any more on. We'll see how we go. I, along with my friend and neighbour, Judy, have been 'doing' the Betty Baxter weight management programe for about 14 months, with numerous ups and downs. I lost a total of 10.5kg but I've put 5.something kg back on.

Ok, birthday.

I had a lovely day today. Started with my usual cup of tea, in bed, that Damien makes me before he leaves for work. This morning it was accompanied by a card and a gift voucher to the National Zoo and Aquarium, to have a 'Greet a Cheetah' Experience. I get to have one-on-one time with the Zoo's cheetah, which, depending on the kitty's mood, may even include pats. We haven't been to the Zoo here yet so we are going to make a day of it. Probably in April, when it has cooled down a little.

Next, Judy called me to go next door. She had a beautiful present for me. A little teapot, with a sweet little frog sitting on the lid. I'll post a picture in the next day or so.

Then it was off to the hairdressers at 9.30am. Here in Canberra, your driver's license expires on your birthdays that are numbers divisible by 5 (30th, 35th, 40th etc) so I timed my latest trim for today and lashed out and got my hair straightened as well. I thought I should make a little effort towards getting a half way decent photo on my license, for the next 5 years.

Then I was off to Spotlight, always a treat. I had to get some material to make a tapsetry into a cushion. I also had a good wander around (as you do).

I had a bit of time to spare so I went and had a coffee with Damien. I don't interrupt his work days very often so that was nice. With an hour before my next 'appointment' I thought I would do a 'quick' visit to one of my favourite antique shops, Down Memory Lane.

I think that place is built on a tear in the space/time continuim or inside a fairy ring. I swear I was only in there for 10 mins!!!! When I looked at my watch it was actually closer to 45 mins and I was running late. It was worth it, though. I got 3 more craft books for my collection. A beadpoint one, with an interesting pattern for a beaded purse as well as blank grids to design your own purses, ornaments and other things. Another one was a Christine Springette bobbin lace book for numerous christmas decorations and lastly a Anne Collier (sp) lace book with details and sample patterns/prickings for several different lace making techniques. Yes, well worth being a little late.

And lastly, as far as outings go. High Tea at the Hyatt, with my friend, Bernadette. Very civilised. You are greeted with a glass of sparkling wine, then you make your way up to the buffet to choose from cucumber, salmon and roast beef sandwiches, a couple of other savoury snacks, and a heap of sweets. Pavlova, 3 types of scones, cheese cake, chocolatte mose, friands, champagne jelly and goodness knows what else. All this is accompanied by a pot of your choice of tea, with milk, and sugar served in 'real' silver jug and bowl and a tea strainer (no tea bags there). As I said, very civilised and a very pleasant way to spend the occassional afternoon.

Bernadette had been busy and she made my birthday presents. There was a photo album, with 'scrapbooked' blank pages to put photos. Perfect for photo mementos of my 40th, I think. There was also a cover for a water bottle. Whoopee Doo, I hear you say but wait. Not only had she embroidered it, with my favourite flower, pansies, she had also used a pansy fabric from, her stash that she knew I liked. It is the beez neez. Bernadette is an a very accomplished needleworker. She has done sample stitching for several books by one of Australia's most talented embroidery designer's, Diana Lampe. Ok, Ok I've raved enough, can you tell that I really like my water bottle cover????

Anyway, I got home from that to find a parcel of cross stitch stash that I had bought from a sale to raise money for the medical bills of one of the 123 Stitch Message Board extended family. I spent a relaxing hour browsing through. Did I do good there???!!!. The main thing I got was Mary Engelbreit's Cross Stitch for All Seasons. It is a beautiful hard covered book, with a dust jacket. I'll do a list of the rest of my latest purchases in a day or so.

Did you note the name of the blog??? Well you were warned.

As that was pretty much my day in a (coco)nut shell. I'll left it there for today.

No comments: